Within Me Without Me

Thursday, February 08, 2007

thursday 13 #12

So last week i did one about my favorite drinks, so this week, it's things i hate to eat. My mother always told me "Don't say gross about food!" It's impolite, especially if you say it in front of the person who made it. So these are all the food that i think are gross, even though i can't say so.



Thirteen Things that i absolutely will not eat!


1. Blue cheese. oh.my.gawd. i love cobb salads, and so often they come with blue cheese dressing, and i always practically beg the waiter to please remember to put ranch on it, because if there is so much as a tiny crumble of blue cheese on the salad i will cry. just one little taste of it is enough to ruin the taste of anything for the rest of the day. ick.

2. saurkraut. my mom used to boil this to put on top of hot dogs/bratwurst or whatever, and it made the whole house stink. uuhhhh.

3. cocont. man oh man, i wish i like coconut. they put in in so many good things. but i can't handle the texture, and it just tastes like suntan lotion.

4. sushi. yes i've tried a few times, and i just can't get with the slipperyness of raw fish. and wasabi is awful.

5. raw oysters. tried this too, and even if the taste weren't bad enough, it's like swallowing someone else's snot. i'm feeling nauseous just talking about it. i better finish this list up fast....

6. greens. mustard, collard, whatever. tastes and smells like grass.

7. barbacoa. people, this is roasted cow head.

8. menudo. cow intestines soup. shudder. even my mexican husband is smart enough to stay the hell away from this stuff.

9. my mother makes this concoction called 4 bean salad. it's got kidney beans, yellow wax beans, garbonzo beans (also known as chick peas) and green beans, all tossed in an obnoxiously tangy vinaigrette sauce. she used to make it for practically every special occasion dinner, and never remembered that we all hated it. thankfully, she's moved on to other more yummy things. because 4 bean salad is just.....well, it's gross. sorry mom.

10. green peppers. ok, cooked in a sauce or something, i can manage. but raw, i cannot handle them.

11. haggus. this is some kind of loosely packed sheep liver sausauge or something. i had it at a pub in scotland. talk about ruining your day.

12. turkey bacon. i don't care what you health nuts say, a thin, salty stick of dry turkey colored to look like bacon is not bacon!! and i wouldn't like it even if it weren't trying to be bacon. blech.

13. golly, well i am hard pressed to think of anything else. i mean there are others that i don't prefer, but i wouldn't list them in the "absolutely not" category. hhmm.

tell me what foods you would call gross if it weren't an impolite thing to say!



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger The Rock Chick said…

    Hi Carrie! I found you through the Meet and Greet and I'm glad I did. Your list had me in stitches!!!

    I can't stand tuna (it's like cat food), meatloaf (yuck!) and lima beans (gag!) and I agree on the menudo. Nasty. My first husband was Mexican and used to make "tongue tacos"..you can understand why we were only married for four months :)

    Really loved your list--Happy TT!
    Jessica

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Blogger eccentricego said…

    I love coconut, sushi, green peppers and raw oysters. But I'll agree with you on Blue Cheese and saurkraut, oh and I totally detest beets and liverworth cheese

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Mercy's Maid said…

    It would be faster to list the foods I don't think are gross. I won't eat anything that makes its home in water, no vegetables (except potatoes), no onions....they're the worst, no 'pulpy' fruits like apples or pears...the list just goes on.

    BTW, I'll respond to your question in my comments.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't eat bell peppers either.
    The thing I really hate is celery. And that's a hard one because so many soups and things come with it. Finally found a place that makes a tuna sandwich without it - yay Panera.
    Have a great day.

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Rashenbo said…

    *shiver* Blue Cheese is just nasty! You forgot Cottage Cheese... it's even nastier than Blue Cheese. I like coconut... I used to like Sushi... till I had Sushi in Korea. I can NOT eat raw oysters... though a fried oyster poboy is pretty darn tasty! :)

    Have a great Thursday!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Amy Ruttan said…

    Ok, totally agree with #1, 5, 7, 8 and 9. I hate 4 bean salad and the fact they serve it cold, I mean WHY!

    Too bad you hate cocunut, I love it.

    Menudo sounds like an 18th Century recipe known as "Calf Head Surprise" and Chestnut soup (which I love my version), had song birds in it. I use chicken.

    I hate anything with Cumin in it. I will substitute Cumin wherever I can, I'm not much for Curry either.

    Great list, and you didn't throw me off my lunch or nothing.

    Thanks for dropping by mine.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Sparky Duck said…

    oh we have problems then, since I love coconut, sushi, sauerkraut and blue cheese

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Carmen said…

    i'm funny. i like the taste of coconut, but not the texture. So I can have a nice pina colada (yum) but not an almond joy.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said…

    Ok, I love Blue cheese. YUM! I like greens, 4 bean salad, green peppers, and turkey bacon. I'm with you on the rest though. Add to my list ground meat (any kind), fish (any kind), and beef (yea, I'm not fond of meat).

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger mamashine said…

    I love turkey bacon! I'm totally with you on everything else though. haggis? who thought it would be a good idea to stick oatmeal inside a sheep stomach and call it food?

    seafood... shiver. shrimp is the cockroach of the ocean. i know you like it. but ick...

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    I found you via the blogroll over at TT...I can't stand saurkraut, beets, and greens.

    Great list.

    :-) Susan

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger Crystal said…

    Hey, great idea for a TT. I might have to steal it someday. ;)

    Let's see... I hate celery, any kind of bell pepper, blue cheese, poultry, seafood, most meat actually (I'm pretty much a vegetarian), ICECREAM (yeah, I know I'm bizarre) and brazil nuts and beets. Both of those taste like dirt to me. No, I haven't eaten dirt but gosh darn it I think I'd hate that too! Picky eaters unite! :)

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    I haven't done a TT in a dog's age, but that won't stop me from putting in my 2 cents!
    Sushi, raw oysters, and sauerkraut are all frightening to me, and I had never even heard of barbacoa and menudo!
    My husband is 100% first generation Scottish American, and I have tried haggis so as not to directly spit on his culture. Not a fan, but I do love mostly everything else Scottish - like shortbread! YUM!
    Let's see, I don't like: beets, brussel sprouts, blood sausage (congealed blood fried in a pan. Yikes!), squid, liver, tongue, or any other part of an animal that has either a) licked something or b) been the main producer of bile in said animal before it got to my plate.

    Hey, this list is good for my diet because now I don't want to eat too much!

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger nicole said…

    I dislike almost everything on your list, except the green peppers. I love them. I eat them raw with ranch dip several times a week as part of my lunch.

    I dislike cabbage in general (using it to dry up my breastmilk when weaning didn't help my opinion of it either). Great list.

     
  • At 6:58 AM, Blogger loni said…

    There are a lot of things on your list that I haven't (and won't) try. However, cottage cheese and chicken livers are two things I have tried and they are just too gross! Sorry Carrie's mom, I said it, too. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home