Within Me Without Me

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thursday 13


Thirteen Things I'm Stressing About


these are things i stress about - some that probably shouldn't bother me, and others that are probably fairly common.....

1. money. don't have enough, and the money we do have, are we spending it wisely and in the right place.

2. time. as above, there's never enough, and i wonder sometimes if i spend it where it needs to get spent.

3. my weight. part of me says i know i'll never be a size 6 (or probably 8) again, so why even try. the other part of me says that with a little actual effort, anything is possible!! i don't know which part is right.

4. my teeth. i haven't been to the dentist in ages. ok, for about 6 years. actually, i went about 2 years ago, but the dr. said they couldn't clean my teeth b/c it had been too long since my last cleaning and i needed "deep rooot scaling" which of course wasn't covered by insurance and would cost about $800. refer to thing #1 on this list....needless to say i didn't get it done. so now i worry about cavities.

5. my son's speech problem. i know all kids develop at different speeds, but i worry that i am not doing enough, or doing the right things to help him speak. he has words, just not a whole lot of them, and he mispronounces them or shortens them. the speech pathologist just recommended weekly therapy for him starting asap. he's only 2 1/2, so i don't want to put too much pressure, but i just want him to be able to tell me what he needs, likes, doesn't like, wants, etc!!

6. the holidays. i don't have enough vacation time to take off a week each for thanksgiving and christmas, but our nanny wants to be off for the holidays. i've never had to tell her no since she's been working for us, but i'm afraid i might have to make her choose a holiday, and i really don't want to.

7. the holidays, again. both our parents live in town, and we go through the whole rigmarole about where we're going to have dinner, open presents, and go to mass. honestly, we would rather spend the holidays just with our kids, and not the grandparents, but we don't want to hurt their feelings, either, you know!? i just hate all the driving back and forth, when i really just want to be at home enjoying the day with my kids and hubby.

8. work. i know this sounds silly, but i get to work late (8:30 ish) pretty much every day. my boss has never said anything, and i know she doesn't care as long as my work gets done. and i'm not the only one - my supervisor and a few other people do the same. and i work through lunch almost every day, so it don't even take a lunch hour. but i worry that one of these days it will come back to haunt me somehow, like maybe i'll get passed up for a promotion or something.

9. money again. most relationships have a spender and a saver. i'm the saver. jerry is definitely the spender. we just paid off 2 credit cards a few months ago, and swore that we would use only one, only for emergencies. we (or more accurately, HE) already has put a few hundred dollars of emergency hunting equipment on the card. yes, that stresses me out, because i don't want to be a nag, but come on! as my frined pam loves to say to her husband, you can have all the toys you want as soon as we plant that money tree in the back yard!

10. my mother in law. she can be very warm and friendly to me, and usually is. but she also often has this underlying passive-aggressive way of telling me how to raise my kids that is infuriating. it drives me crazy when she talks to my babies instead of me, like this: "ohh, aidan! why doesn't your mommy want to put socks on you? aren't your feet cold? oh, you're going to catch cold, but mommy didn't bring your socks!!" Or this: "sadie, your mommy carries you around too much! she's going to spoil you for anyone else! you need to learn how to sit by yourself!" all of this while i'm right there in the room, as if i can't hear her. grrrr.

11. my mother. where should i start. instead of listing all the ways she stresses me out, i'll go with the most recent. she is constantly asking about our finances, wanting to make sure we have enough money, are saving enough, have proper retirement funds, asking if jerry is trying to get his child support reduced, etc. jerry wants me to just tell her to mind her own business, and i want to also, but how do i do that tactfully!? (especially since she's not offering any help in this area!)

12. this cold that i have. when i took sadie to the doctor last week, the dr. said sadie can't get a flu shot b/c she's less than 6 months, but that everyone else in the house needs to get one so she's protected. which of course we haven't done. and now i'm sick, and i really really hope it's not the flu.

13. my job. i like where i am, but i'm thinking about getting back into the casework aspect of the probation dept where i work. right now, i'm doing human resources, which has been a nice break from the crazy kids and parents i dealt with for 9 years. but it was what i loved doing, and i sometimes feel like i'm just pushing paper here. i know there's a supervisory position coming up that my boss has actually encouraged me to apply for...but i don't know if it's what i really want to do. if i ever want to get out of the county system and work in the private sector, i should stay here and get more experience.....i don't know. i'm waffling.

so i hope i haven't gotten you all thinking and stressing about your own money, time, mothers, and jobs!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
leave me a comment, and i'll put your link here!
chupie&j's mama


carmen


amy


susan


aimee


my 2 cents


gail




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



8 Comments:

  • At 2:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    i didnt go to the dentist for a few years but now I am back to every 6 months..It wasnt that bad..Dont stress.they can numb anything

    seriously

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Carmen said…

    worrying just adds lines to your face. :) You might not be a size 6 again, but if you work at it, you can lose some weight. But do it to get healthy or for yourself - because you're beautiful just the way you are!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said…

    Ok, now I'm stressed. Ok, in total agreement about 1, 2, 3, 7 and 10. I need some chocolate to calm down now, oh, but that will mess with #3 again. Oh well, have a great week and thanks for stopping by:D

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Susan said…

    Carrie I feel for you on almost all of these! what Carmen says is true but it's easier said than done!! :) mine's up - drop by!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Gail Martin said…

    Take some deep breaths. I hope you can find a way to stress less. Stress is no fun. {hugs}

     
  • At 11:14 PM, Blogger K said…

    I'm sorry you're stressed out, I hope things get better soon!!

    Just from experience with my nephew... I would not worry about your 2 yr old not talking well right now. My nephew didn't even start talking at all until two and a half yrs old and he is talking fine now (he's almost four) and is one of the smartest kids I know. Kids just develop at differant rates. Boys tend to be a little slower also, from what I have heard.

    And, if I had a mother who kept butting in, I think I would have a difficult time not telling her once and for all to never mention my financial situation to me again. Ever. It is just not her place. (But then, I tend to be very blunt like that.)

    Those are just my two cents.

    Thanks for stopping by my site earlier!!

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    carrie! we are simpatico, my friend, I am so glad that I visited your list.
    I have a little personal experience with the whole speech therapy thing -- my son (now 4) started speech therapy at 3 because he was not pronouncing things correctly, calling me "Na" instead of "mom", etc. . . Turns out he had a 30 decibel hearing loss that we had no idea about from persistent fluid not linked to ear infection. It was fixable, thank God, and he started speech and the difference has been amazing. Our speech therapist is so cool with my little guy that he sees it as fun and not work. If you feel like therapy would overwhelm your guy right now, maybe just waiting a few months would be ok, but I have to tell you that I wish we had done it sooner for my boy. Just go with your gut -- you know your child better than anyone else.
    Good Luck and thanks for visiting me.

     
  • At 6:16 AM, Blogger mamashine said…

    Ah, your mama. :) Could you say something like, you raised me to do a good job with money, please trust that we're doing fine. (and for the love of pete stop asking....)

    I would say get the therapy if they say he needs it, but he'll come around in his own time, most likely. The therapy will just make it faster, which hopefully will alleviate some stress. One of the kids I keep was three in August and wasn't talking much at all. They did a screen around his birthday and recommended 8-12, M-F therapy. When he went back the next month for the real evaluation he had learned so many more words that they said forget it, he's catching up on his own already. So it can happen pretty quickly.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home