Within Me Without Me

Thursday, March 22, 2007

thursday 13 #13

the one where i vent my frustrations with the (semi) educated masses!!

the 13 most annoying mispronounciations or grammar mistakes that i see almost every day!! (in no particular order - they all drive me nuts.)

1. mistaking possessive for plural!! (as in, "hamburger's are $4.00")
oh, my goodness, i want to choke you. please pray for me.

2. your and you're. as in "your welcome." it's not my welcome!! the apostrophe makes the contraction of "you are!" please!!! think about it.

3. there, their, and they're. ok, so this is a little more difficult, but if they spend a few days on it in english class in high school, don't you think more people would remember which one is which? again with the contraction - it's pretty obvious i think.

4. the made-up word "supposovly." my step son says this all the time and i want to shake him. the word is "supposedly." the other made up word doesn't even make sense.

5. saying "expresso" instead of "espresso". yes i know it's a foreign word and all, but come on.

6. saying "ax" instead of "ask." and don't try to tell anyone they're saying it wrong. that makes you a hater.

7. saying "sangwich" instead of "sandwich" (this is my hubby's favorite, and a common one among his 'peeps')

8. bake potato and ice tea. umm, you're missing the d! the potato is baked and the tea is iced. the notable exception here is ice cream. don't ask me why, i didn't name it. because if i did, i would have called it iced cream.

9. congradulations. i know it's counterintuitive, since a graduate graduates, but it's still spelled with a t. as in "congratulations, you passed your spelling test!"

10. misuse of past tense and past participle. do not say "you should have went." i will thrash you. please say, "you should have gone." the past tense form does not take the auxillary verb, but the past participle mush have it. capice?

11. even worse would be if you said, "you should of went." of and have are not interchangeable!!!

12. "You must be very pacific when describing good grammar rules." aaargh!! the word is "specific" as in "specify."

13. affect and effect. the weather has a profound effect on me. it affects my mood. one is a noun and one is a verb. learn it, live it, know it.

oh, and just a bonus one - this one kills me. a word search is not the same as a crossword puzzle!!! one requires a lot more brain power than the other....

whew. felt good to get all that out.

i guess some of y'all are going to think i'm picky and snarky, but i'm just sayin'.

12 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The effect and affect one gets me and I am a writer. lol

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Yes, yes, yes, and YES! Thank GOD I'm not the only one!
    How about "pitcher" for "picture?" Drives.Me.Insane. There's a "k" sound in there, kiddos!
    Good TT!

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    I totally agree!! You forgot my favorite......."I SEEN him yesterday"

    That drives me bonkers!

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lay and lie... I never get them straight. Affect and effect either. I always look them up! lol

    Selena

     
  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Spelling mistakes and grammar drive me bonkers (and I make enough of them on my own) but I tend to cut people a lot of slack when it comes to pronunciation. After all, who's to say that our understanding of correct pronunciation is accurate? As the world shrinks and I travel more, I'm becoming more exposed to other languages - and since most of the words in the English language are derived from other languages (or outright stolen), I figure it's just as likely that my pronunciation is wrong and theirs is right...

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    my hubby (www.valtool.blogspot.com) would love this..
    What about Eckerds or Krogers? its Eckerd and Kroger!!!! I do it all the time

    Michael corrects me when I say 99 cent instead of cents

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger JO said…

    i used to get confused with patient and patience... hehehe...

    happy TT!

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger Crazy Working Mom said…

    Wow! Great list!!!
    Thanks for the lesson. :)
    Hope you taught some folks...and if they don't ax, they'll never know. heh heh

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL!!! :)

     
  • At 5:14 AM, Blogger Fence said…

    Venting is good for the soul :)

    Happy T13

     
  • At 6:17 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Sing it, Sister Carrie! I was nodding and cackling the whole time I was reading.
    #1 - happens all. the. time. and I hate it!
    #9 - Older Girl just had this on her spelling test and we drilled it into her head! Just doing my part to create a new generation of spellers and grammarians
    #13 - the only thing about this is that "affect" can also be used to describe behavior/attitude such as: She had a strange affect that made people feel uncomfortable.
    Just doing my part to further confuse people!

    Oh, and that brings me to further/farther! Further is a measure of degree or extent, while Farther is a measure of distance. eg: "Mom, is the hotel much farther? I have to pee."
    "This job requires further education on your part. So get crackin'."

    And forget about pronunciation, because every part of the country has their own set of habits. In Reading, PA, where I was raised, it is customary to compliment a person's haircut in this way: "Did you get your hair cut? They look nice!" As if each individual hair on your head must not be excluded!
    And the list goes on and on :)!

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Mitchypoo said…

    Not snarky, I agree with you. The one that kills me is supposavly. I HATE that! But I am sure my grammar is not the best. See I started a sentence with 'but'...oh boy! My TT is up if you dare to read it!

    http://mitchypoo777.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home