Within Me Without Me

Friday, December 07, 2007

here i am again....need help with a work issue!!

so i guess i've sort of become an on again off again blogger.

this transition has been a little hectic, but i'm getting into the swing of the supervisor thing. it is continuously surprising how much grown people try to weasle out of work. and act like 10 year olds.

but here is the biggest dilemma facing me. when our unit was formed, there was only one administrator and one supervisor. when the department moved to our new building last year, our unit was assigned offices in a space that actually has 3 management offices. so the administrator and supervisor got two of those, and the 3rd was given to the officer in the unit who had the most seniority with the department. i'll call him dave. he also happens to be the laziest officer probably in the whole department, but we'll get to that later. so anyway, now that i'm promoted, there are 3 managers, but i was told that i will have a regular office (with no window) until dave retires, and then i can have the big office. needless to say this doesn't sit well with me. to add insult to injury, my small office is right across the hall from him. so he grins up at me from his big desk every day, knowing it pisses me off.

so when all this went down, i didn't throw a fit, and i didn't complain or demand the big office. i figured it was a test to see what kind of team player i am or how i'm going to react to edicts from the big boss. since my unit is full of veteran officers, many of whom have been in the department longer than me, i figured jumping in and throwing my weight around would be counter productive. and as i ease into this role, i think i made the right decision about that.

but now here's a wrinkle in the plot. another officer, we'll call her laura, is leaving the unit. she currently has a window office, not a big one, but a window nonetheless. so my boss offered that one to me, again indicating that dave needs to stay in the big one because of seniority. now i think it's getting just a little ridiculous. as long as people are moving, dave can pack his stuff and get on out of my office. i think this time i may say something.

am i just being petty? i mean, i can do my job just as well behind any size desk, with or without a window. but it's the principle of the thing!!

help!!

and now there's a new twist.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger phdatc said…

    The balance between not throwing your weight around just to do it, and not allowing yourself to be walked all over. I say make a stand and be prepared to defend it.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger T with Honey said…

    The key to this situation is to act like you don't care at all. You need to give the impression that "Eh, it doesn't matter what kind of office I have I'm good enough to do this job in any old spot."

    If you're good enough at the act then people will give you what you deserve without having to fight for it. At least that has been my experience. The more I complain and push the harder the higher-ups make if for me.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger mamashine said…

    Hmm. One of the reasons I work with two year olds is so I can always win when I throw my weight around.

    I got nothing for you. :) But good luck with it. And tell us what happens.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home